Author: Judy Finchler Illustrator Kevin O’Malley
- American Bookseller’s “Pick of the Lists” 2000
- CBC Not Just for Children Anymore!, 2001
- Kansas State Reading Circle, Masterlist, 2001-02
- Missouri Reading Circle, 2001
- Society of School Librarians International Book Award (Honor Book), 2001-02The new school year brings standardized testing to every school, and Miss Malarkey’s classroom is no exception. Teachers, students, and even parents are preparing for THE TEST-The Instructional Performance Through Understanding (IPTU) test-and the school is in an uproar. Even though the grown-ups tell the children not to worry, they’re acting kind of strange. The gym teacher is teaching stress-reducing yoga instead of sports in gym class. Parents are giving pop quizzes on bedtime stories at night. The cafeteria is serving “brain food” for lunch. The kids are beginning to think that maybe the test is more important than they’re being led to believe.
Kids and adults alike will laugh aloud as Finchler and O’Malley poke fun at the commotion surrounding standardized testing, a staple of every school’s year.
Size: 8½ x 11
Ages 10 and up